Monday, July 9, 2012

Coming to a stop - Glacier National Park, Montana


Day 7, 6th July
Distance travelled, not much
Wildlwe hife spotted, a chipmunk

Friday dawned with my first hangover in months.  I’m not used to hard liquor anymore and I had had a few vodkas to keep up with the fishermen the night before.  After a shower we decided to head straight for Glacier National Park down the road.  Camp sites are first come first served and we wanted to get a good one.

I was feeling pretty ropey so Himself drove and as we queued to get into the park, I opened my bag to get the entrance fee out.

No purse.

No GODDAMN purse.

Which means no drivers license, no credit cards, no money, no debit card, no health insurance.

We turned the car around and headed back to the Roost.

The one thing about biker bars is that the patrons are the most honest people around.  Sure enough, when I walked in the owner smiled and waggled the purse at me. 

I pulled out your licence and said, she’ll be back, he beamed.

We had a coffee on the house and chatted about this and that and then headed back into the park where the queue had thinned out considerably, but we were still able to camp near Avalanche Creek right in the middle of the park.

Surrounded by peaks, the river is so cold that the temperature drops right down as you approach its glacier-fed waters.  We are camped in a cedar forest and the air smells sublime.  Each tree is old and has its signature bark.  Finally we can relax for a day or two.

Sitting by the campfire tonight, it is difficult to comprehend the distance we have travelled in just a week.  Although it’s just a few hours by plane, the layers and textures of a roadtrip make it seem much farther.
I have achieved one of my life dreams, to drive the Hi Line to the Rockies.  And soon we will get all the way to the Rockies.

And tonight, I am being a really big girl and sleeping in Grizzly country.

No comments:

Post a Comment